VENUE OF THE CONFERENCE

Koper (Italian: Capodistria) is a city on the Adriatic coast with a history dating back to Roman times. The Latin name of the town is Capris (goat). In 568, Roman citizens of nearby Trieste fled to Capris due to an invasion of the Lombards. Since the 8th century, Koper has the seat of a diocese. It was long under Venetian rule, which can be observed in every step you make through old medieval part of the city. When Trieste became a free port in 1719, Koper lost its monopoly on trade, and its importance further diminished. It was assigned to the Habsburg Empire after Napoleon’s defeat, and to Italy after the First World War. After the Second World War, it was a part of Zone B of the Free Territory of Trieste, controlled by Yugoslavia. Most of the Italian inhabitants left the city by 1954, when the Free Territory of Trieste formally ceased to exist, and Zone B became part of the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. With Slovenian independence in 1991, Koper became the only commercial port in Slovenia. Today, the municipality of Koper is home to over 50,000 inhabitants, who mostly work in logistics and trade, as well as in the field of education and research.


University of Primorska

University of Primorska, Faculty of Humanities


VENUE ADDRESS: Titov trg 5, SI - 6000 Koper